Ok, it’s two hours later. I had leftover green olive and onion pizza for dinner:
And my wife came home from an event with a red velvet cupcake for me:
I came up with a number of ideas for this theme, especially as people on IRC bounced quite a few around:
- The Bourne Identity: remember that scene when Bourne used a rolled up newspaper to hit the other guy? And then he stabbed him with part of a pen that was lying around? A game with a lot of random stuff that requires the player to be resourceful and clever.
- Infectious Agent: a restaurant owner is trying to poison the right spy without killing customers.
- Kite a Giant: lure a large monster toward a city/castle/friend’s cooler treehouse/etc, while ensuring it doesn’t get bored or killed.
- Sunlight Focused: kill a neighbor’s flowers with beams of concentrated sunlight in order to win the local horticultural contest.
- Food Fight: a cafeteria featuring students with ridiculous weapons, such as mashed potato guns and banana missiles.
- Toys: inspired by the Robin Williams movie, in which wind-up toys fight (I recall this is a multi-decade old game already).
- Information Warfare: choose which important papers to shred in order to leak secrets.
- Books: check out books from a library before your coworker does to prevent him/her from learning and getting that promotion.
- Excruciatingly Severe Body Odor: your odor is repellent. Make use of it!
- Numbers vs Letters: it’s a battle between the higher level and abstract thoughts!
- Shapes: an RTS inspired by the different shapes in Flatland.
- Monopoly: use market pressures to defeat your competitors.
- Avalanche/Cave-in: cause a disaster to trap other people.
- Cactus vs Balloon: inspired by some art in my room.
- Nanotechnology: tiny invaders that destroy your enemies from the inside out.
- Mind Control: make your opponents do self-destructive things.
- Fear: scare people towards disaster (for them, obviously).
- Vampire Hunter: use blood disease to kill vampires.
- Eggs: birds hatch and peck at opponents.
- Plunger: you’re a plumber, and you have to save the day.
- Hopes, Dreams, Aspirations, and Fears: you work in HR at Large Corporation, Inc.
I also tried to come up with a list of potential weapons:
- Gravity Wells
- Vacuum cleaner
- Air guns
- Summon beings, such as demons
- Ever increasing mass
- Sex appeal
- Paper cuts
- Laundry (dirty or otherwise)
- Banana peels
Out of all of them, Kite the Giant is the one I keep thinking about. I like the idea of indirectly influencing a destructive force.
I think I’ll go ahead and call it. That’s my game idea, and I’m moving forward with it.