Game Development Personal Development

Thousander Club Update: June 1st

For this week’s Thousander Club update:

Game Hours: 576 (previous three years) + 126 (current year) = 702 / 1000
Game Ideas: 775 (previous three years) + 10 (current year) = 785 / 1000

This past week, I worked on taking some boilerplate code from my game projects and throwing them into a library. I then started a new game project to test out my library. Although there isn’t much to it yet, here’s what I’ve got so far:

$ ./testvampiregame
Success: 1 tests passed.
Test time: 0.00 seconds.

I’ve also started learning how to use git to maintain a repository. While my projects are usually in a subversion repository, on more than one occasion I’ve had my laptop disconnected from the network, which means that if I did any modifications, I couldn’t check them in. My repositories are on my desktop/server. Using git, it would be like taking a repository with me, making changes to it, and then providing the changed repository to the server once I have a network connection again. Nice!

A new game project, a new source control tool, and a new habit of game development. It’s been a good week.

[tags]game, game design, productivity, personal development, video game development, indie[/tags]