For this weekâ€™s Thousander Club update:
Game Hours: 262.25 (previous year) + 117 (current year) = 379.25 / 1000
Game Ideas: 616 (previous year) + 44 (current year) = 660 / 1000
I believe I have succeeded in creating a distributable build of Killer Kittens. Extracted, it is a little over 20MB, mostly due to the libraries included. The compressed file is about 8MB. I’m wondering if I can’t get the libSDL libraries to shrink down any more through configuration options. When I work on future projects, I think I will try to make sure I can get a distributable build as quickly as possible. I am spending too much time on this aspect instead of the actual game.
I’ve also added a new sound effect, and by doing so I realized some pieces of code were useless. For instance, when the game first starts up and brings you to the main menu, you hear the sound effect. It should only play when your ship is fading into existence. I found that I had a function called initializeSprites() that called a function initializeShip(). The problem is that the ship gets initialized when a new game is started, so I don’t need to create the player’s ship on program startup. I was going to try to split up the function so that the sound is played separately, but then I realized that the initializeShip() call in initializeSprites() was pointless.
While I have made some small progress, I can see the light at the end of the tunnel, and I’m getting impatient. More progress! More steam! Hoist the colors! I can’t do these sub-ten hour weeks and expect to get much accomplished.