While Thanksgiving is an American holiday, I figure that this post might appeal to a few of you international readers as well. What are you thankful for as an independent game developer?
I can name a few things:
- Quick and easy access to information on the world wide web covering a range of topics from game design to programming to marketing to personal development.
- Inexpensive or freely available game development tools, such as compilers, game engines, 2D/3D art creation applications, and even operating systems.
- Ease of distribution of digital data.
- Personal contacts made through various forums, including the Indie Gamer forums and ASP newsgroups
- Love…of roller coasters.
- The people in #gamedevelopers on irc.starchat.net
- Compound interest.
- The knowledge that I am capable of much more and that I haven’t done anything compared to what I have the potential to do.
- My blog readers, who sometimes act as my conscience and keep me accountable to my goals.