Happy New Year!
I’ve never taken New Year’s resolutions seriously before, but since I’ve been making more conscious decisions this past year, I think it might be appropriate to do so this time.
What I would like to see accomplished in 2006:
- The improvement of the Chicago Indie Game Developers Club (details to follow)
- The formation of GBGames, LLC by the end of the second week of January
- The completion of Oracle’s Eye by the end of March
- The creation of an actual web storefront for GBGames.
What I would like to improve about myself:
- I would like to improve my ability to focus on the task at hand. I find that I am too easily distracted and will waste time that I can’t afford to lose. When you work in your spare time, you have to be able to guard it.
- I would like to be able to play more video games. I have talked about the importance of playing more games in order to improve my game making abilities, but last year didn’t see much of an improvement. I intend to schedule regular “game research” times during the week/month. I’ll also track the games I’ve played since it is much harder to measure change without knowing what I needed to improve.
- I want to read more. I almost made my books reading goal last year, but this year I am focused on reading one book per week from the start.
- I would like to live a bit more consciously. This past year I realized that while I am taking more control of my own life away from blind circumstance and random influences, I still perform actions that were on a whim rather than purposeful.
- I intend to take a more active role in the Association of Shareware Professionals. The more I put in, the more helpful it becomes as a resource, and the more contacts I can make.
I’ll think of these resolutions as my personal goals. I’ll also create a plan to accompany them. Of course, the great thing about plans is that they can change. If this plan turns out to be too ambitious, I can update it. I think I will check over this plan again at the end of March to see how I’m doing.
What are you resolving to do this coming year?